Tanager Place is excited to share that we have openings for the next session of our DBT Group Therapy! Learn more about DBT below:
What is Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)?
DBT focuses on the following key concepts:
- Dialectics – The philosophy that two opposing ideas can both be true, and when viewed together can create a new way of thinking that promotes flexibility.
- 3 states of mind – Emotion mind (choices are driven by emotions) Rational mind (choices are driven by logic), Wise mind (balancing the use of emotions and logic).
- Bio-social theory – Certain individuals are biologically prone to experiencing intense emotions and being highly reactive; when combined with an invalidating social environment, such individuals can feel miserable, flawed, alone, etc.
- Validation – Understanding people are trying the best they can under their circumstances and have a real reason for feeling the way they are.
Who does DBT help?
- Individuals experiencing emotional intensity and engaging in target behaviors
- Target behaviors include: Suicidal Ideation, Self-harm, Eating Disorders and Substance Abuse
- This co-ed group is targeted for children ages 12-18
How does it help?
- By building skills and learning new ways of viewing self and the world. DBT gives participants the opportunity to develop healthy coping skills and create more positive experiences in life.
When are the Adolescent DBT Group Therapy sessions?
- Wednesdays from 5:00 – 6:00 pm
- Starts May 30th
How do I get a child involved?
- Contact Bethany Roberts at email@example.com or 319-286-4545