In play therapy practice, we are often provided with the wonderful opportunity to work with clients of diverse populations. Play therapists must have self-awareness of their own perceptions, biases, and understanding of their own and others’ cultures, they must understand how culture may impact the lives of clients and the play therapy process, and be equipped with tools, skills, and knowledge in order to provide competent and culturally sensitive treatment. It is important that the play therapist become culturally competent in order to most effectively manage cultural components within the treatment process such as addressing cultural issues that may arise or to help facilitate pride in the client’s own culture.
- Participants will explore the history how cultural considerations have been utilized in regards to psychotherapy practices and play therapy
- Participants will discuss the role that self-awareness has in providing culturally competent play therapy
- Participants will learn and explore the impacts that cultural bias, perceptions and understanding of culture has in regards to being a play therapist
- Participants will identify the impact culture has on clients and the play therapy process
- Participants will discuss tools, skills, and knowledge to feel better prepared in play therapy sessions for addressing cultural components
- Participants will practice and apply basic guidelines to play therapy practice to improve their cultural sensitivity and competence
APT Approved Provider 16-457
Payment is due at the time of registration. Cancellations made at least 30 days before date of course will receive a full refund of registration cost. Cancellations made less than 30 days before date of course may transfer their registration fees to an alternative course or request for a partial refund. In the event a registered participant does not cancel and does not attend (no-show), the registration fees will not be eligible for refund or transfer. *All refunds and transfers are at the discretion of Meraki Institute of Learning and Tanager Place.