The Kids We Lose is a 90-minute documentary film about the human side of being a child or student with behavioral challenges and the struggles faced by those who work with them. The Kids We Lose also exposes the often brutal, inhumane ways in which these kids are treated in schools, inpatient psychiatry units, residential facilities, and prisons.
Panel Members include:
- Laura Fuller, Clinical associate professor and clinical psychologist at UIHC, Member of Lives in the Balance Board of Directors
- Sarah Nelson-Miller, Operations director of Foundation 2, Parent advocate
- Tammy Nyden, Associate professor of philosophy at Grinnell College, Founder of NAMI Johnson County, Children’s Coalition and Mothers on the Frontline, Parent advocate
- Heidi Pierce, Professor of psychology at Kirkwood Community College, The University of Iowa Liberal Arts Beyond Bars program at Oakdale Prison, Volunteer at Inside Out, Reentry Community, Parent advocate
- Okpara Rice, CEO Tanager Place
- Renee Speh (moderator), Member of NAMI Johnson County, Children’s Coalition steering committee, Family navigator at the Regional Autism Assistance Program, Parent advocate