Tanager is pleased to announce applications are now being accepted for the Bridge to the Future scholarship program for 2023.
Thanks to a generous $1M anonymous gift to Tanager in 2019, the organization is able to offer scholarships to assist those who have benefited from Tanager programs and services with meeting their secondary educational goals. The program is designed to meet students’ needs, with awards distributed for traditional college courses, attending trade school or furthering academic goals at a community college.
“It is an incredible privilege to be able to help kids who have benefited from Tanager services pursue their future education goals. To see a young person excited for that next phase of education is a true joy. Reviewing the applications and reading the optimism for the future is a truly a highlight of my year,” commented Okpara Rice, CEO.
This scholarship program is unique in the fact that previous scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply for additional funding if they are continuing to pursue their educational goals.
Scholarships are awarded on an annual basis and not automatically renewed. Students must re-apply each spring for awards for the following academic year. To be eligible to apply for a Bridge to the Future Scholarship, a student must:
- Have been a Tanager client for a minimum of six months within the last two calendar years.
- Meet criteria of FAFSA and provide FAFSA score on application.
- Demonstrate financial need.
- Be admitted as a full-time student to an accredited, in-state, post-secondary educational institution, including (but not limited to) community colleges, private colleges, public universities, online course offerings, vocational programs, and certification studies. The Scholarship Committee may use discretion to make exceptions as necessary.
- Submit a completed application no later than 4:00pm on April 21, 2023. Applications are available from area high school counselors or online at tanagerplace.org/scholarships
- Completed applications are accepted by email at email@example.com or by US postal mail at:
Bridge to the Future Scholarship Committee
2309 C Street SW
Cedar Rapids, IA 52404
The deadline to receive completed applications is April 21, 2023 by 4 PM. A selection committee will announce the award recipients in late April. This year more than $60,000 will be awarded to children who have benefited from Tanager services (an increase of more than $4,000 over the amount distributed in 2021).